From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2002 4:10 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: programmer vs. developer

> I couldn't answer too many of your "Software Engineering
> principles" questions, but I can solve problems, and that's
> what my employer wants. My background is accounting, but I
> spent all my time automating my tasks using Excel/VBA/VB,
> so I ended up going into programming. Nothing personal, but
> you'd be the last type of manager I would want to have. A
> degree means you made it through four (or more) years of
> school, and that's it. I've known a lot of people with CS
> degrees that couldn't solve problems.

I think you're selling short the value of a CS background. Sure, there are
lots of people with CS degrees who lack problem-solving skills. There are
incompetents in every field, except for those fields in which incompetence
is weeded out automatically (incompetent soldiers being more likely to die
in combat, for example). That's not much of an argument against the value of
a CS degree, though.

I don't have a CS background either. However, I've always worked with people
who do, and I've found myself learning the lessons they'd been taught - and
I had to learn them the hard way, by trial and error. I would miss
subtleties that they would spot immediately, because of their training. For
those people, a degree meant quite a bit more than "making it through four
years of school" - it meant that they had gained a way to examine and
classify problems, and provide solutions that meet those "software
engineering" standards. This is not a trivial ability.

If I turned your initial statement on its head, I could say something like
"my background is programming, but I spent all my time adding up numbers, so
I ended up going into accounting." I think my CFO would probably take issue
with that, if I presented myself as a competent accountant simply because I
had decent math skills. Any profession has a body of knowledge that has to
be understood by practitioners of that profession. Likewise, I wouldn't
necessarily be a competent surgeon just because I'm handy with a knife. I
think in both those examples, you can see the value of "principles".

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444