What I do is set up a site-wide missing template handler (In the cold
fusion admin) that points to a file that contains the following script:

<cfif isdefined('http_host')>
<cflocation url="http://#http_host#/404.cfm"; addtoken="No">
</cfif>

The page you requested is no longer available, or you misspelled the name.

Then, in the root directory of each virtual site, I have a 404.cfm page
that explains that page is no longer available, and has a search box to
help people find the page they want, as well as the navigation system of
the web site.

This way, each site can have it's own error handling page.  I have the
isdefined there because some browsers do not return the http_host variable,
which would have made the page error out. In that case, we just have a
simple error message displayed

Be careful - EVERY site on your server will then need a 404.cfm file. If it
doesn't have one, you get an endless loop that will take up a lot of your cpu!

Al
A1webs.com