On Saturday, August 31, 2002, at 02:25 , Benoit Hediard wrote:
> There was a very interesting article in InternetWeek on tuesday : "Laszlo
> Rising: The Inside Story Of A Stealth Vendor's Rich App Plans"
> (http://www.internetweek.com/story/INW20020827S0008).

Yes, this was circulated internally. It's nice to see other people taking
up the challenge to create Flash authoring tools - it's validates our
approach.

> By the end of the year, they should release a new web technology to build
> Rich Internet App that uses Flash on the client side (but not as an
> authoring tool) and J2EE on the server side (and later on .NET).

My understanding is that they're building a Flash IDE for 'programmers'
that is light on graphical ability but rich on programming (with
ActionScript I assume). I don't know which Flash Player version they are
targeting (as a few people have pointed out, the MX version SWF format is
not yet published) but it sounds like they're using client-side SOAP code
to interact with server-side web services (instead of the binary
AMF-over-HTTP protocol the we use. I believe some folks have already
created such libraries for use with Flash MX, so that part is nothing new.
  However, marshaling XML data using ActionScript may not be the fastest
way to interact with web services (although we made big improvements in
this area in Flash MX).

> They definitely try to compete with Macromedia MX by using most of its
> idea
> and concepts...

Competition is a good thing. It keeps us all on our toes and the end
result is better tools for our users.

-- Margaret Atwood