From: "Matt Robertson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 4:28 PM
Subject: SQL Injection Attacks (scrubbers cont.)

> It seems to me there are two different issues here, that only partially
overlap.

> 1. data is input into a field - say an varchar/ntext/text/memo field -
that will be used to display onto a page.  The user could include all sorts
of nasties, both simple and complex.  Injected SQL isn't much of a danger
here, if at all.  For a field like this at the very least you need a
scrubber like CodeCleaner (which for the sake of argument strips out the
CFQUERY statements someone would wrap around the aforementioned SQL), or
something you've home-grown.

> 2. Data is used - possibly from a form input but maybe not - in a WHERE
statement; i.e. SQL injection.  cfqueryparam fixes that rather handily all
on its own.  Malicious code of another nature isn't likely to be of any use
in a WHERE clause, but cfqueryparam handles this as well.

> So my ideal system scrubs the form inputs, and further lumps them into a
cfqueryparam on general principles.  My WHERE clause uses cfqueryparam only.
I should be pretty safe.