Having written several carts from scratch I can attest to the amount of
time and effort it takes. I tried using cfwebstore about 1 1/2 years
ago. It is a very solid product with a lot of features, and comes
complete with source code. However, it was not up to our standards in
terms of user interface. i.e. it is not all that pretty in terms of
design, and fonts, lay out etc.(mostly on the back end admin area) (we
are VERY picky in that respect).

It does cover a lot of ground with respect to the range of products it
can accommodate, price points, discounts, specials, shipping etc. In
that respect I would highly recommend it.

Things to consider are code reuse, extendibility, dovetailing the cart
with the rest of the site, and being knee deep in someone else's code.
If you foresee the need of having future clients needing a cart, or
simply being able to offer one in the future, or having a large number
of "special items" with a lot of variables associated with those items
(multiple colors, sizes, price points, engraving, etc), I would
recommend writing one from scratch.

Though it might not be in the client's budget, you may find that it
would be cost efficient to develop a cart as a product you can offer in
the future. We have gotten a LOT of mileage from our carts. Once it was
written it was used over and over again. And since we developed it, it
is much easier to add new features and/or accommodate special products.

My experience with cfwebstore was that it was very time consuming to add
new features and extending it to accommodate special products. And you
KNOW that you will end up having to modify the cart for future clients ;).

If all you need is a cart for one item with one size, one color and one
price, I would go with cfwebstore. However, if you want to have one that
is easily extendable and plan to offer it in the future I would
recommend writing it from scratch.

Regards,
Coz