This goes beyond what you ask for but for good security and if you have
a manageable number of client users you can issue x.509 certificates to
them and use the SSL client digital certificate authentication by the
web server.
You'd need to set up your own Certificate Authority to issue
certificates.  The CA that comes with Windows 2000 Server is probably
easiest to play with but there are open-source alternatives.

Once authenticated by the web server this gives you the contents of that
client's certificate to play with, so things like email, username,
company they work for etc.  Because this is all taken care of by the web
server you don't have to write any code to take care of this.  You can
still use existing challenge password if you like.

On the web server end (I've done it on IIS and IPlanet) you basically
install and set up your CA's cert as a trusted cert.  This in turn means
that any client certificate issued by your CA is trusted (you can be
more granular than this if need be) and will be allowed to request
pages.  Because the use does not even get anywhere near an HTML of CF
page if denied it removes the burden of writing the authentication code
from the developer.

Of course to be truly secure and use two-factor security you should
still challenge the user for a password.