From: Edwards Robert (air0rae) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 September 2002 5:18
To: CF-Talk
Subject: OT: Stupid SQL Problem (in oracle)

I need some way to convert a word into a number.

I know I've done it once before, but I can't remember what I did.

For example, I have a query that will return something like the following:

Machine1     Running
Machine2    Running
Machine3    Offline
Machine4    Running
Machine5    Offline
Machine6    Unknown

I want to get some result like this:

Running     Offline    Unknown    Total
3                 2             1               6

I know it has something to do with a sum and translating "Running" into 1,
"Offline" into a 1 and "Unknown" into a 1,  I just can't remember how I did
it.

This is an oracle 8i system I'm working with.

Thanks,

Rob Edwards                     Phone:  (502) 359-1627
Systems Management Tools   Pager:       (502) 478-1116
United Parcel Service           Fax:    (502) 359-0094
EMail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]