> Thanks for the reply Dave. I think you're right, CFMX
> store the classes in memory but not all of than I suppose.
> Imagine a server that runs a lot of applications, lot of
> files, etc... I think that the server RAM memory itself
> won't be able to handle all classes in a case, for example,
> we have "only" 256-512 Mb of RAM... I suppose CFMX will need
> to read the class from the disk sooner or later... How often
> this is done? Should we care about this issue when setting
> a new CFMX box? Does anybody have a clue?

I suspect it works similarly to how it did in CF 5. I'd recommend that you
have more memory than 512 Mb, if at all possible - 1 Gb is a nice starting
point. Not only can you use this memory for the template cache, but for
other things that will generally improve performance, such as caching
queries and using memory variables where appropriate.

As for when CF will need to read the class file from the disk, it should
only happen once, assuming that all files are stored in the template cache
after being run, which is the goal I'd shoot for. If the template cache is
full, new files will push old ones out of the cache in a first-in, first-out
manner; at least, that's how it worked with CF 5. You can monitor the
performance counters for cache pops to see if your cache setting isn't high
enough.

> By the way: on behalf of all Brazilians and a number of
> friends here, I'd like to express our solidarity to all
> of you and your families for the the terrible circumstances
> of 11 September. The United States are home to millions of
> people from virtually any nationality and ethnic group,
> therefore we all feel directly involved and hit by this
> true global, and not just American, tragedy. Peace for
> all, let's look to the future!

I'd like to take this opportunity to thank you for your expression of
support.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496