Not sure if this made it to the list last week with the list having some
dramas so her it is again - apologies if its already hit the mark with some
of you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Can someone give little bit of advice here please?

We are going to release our Corporate Plan on those little CD cards this
year. On the CD will be a web version of our Corporate Plan. In it will be
links back to our web site. We think it would be pretty useful if we had an
idea how many times the cards were used to link to our web site.

There are 2 options. I can create a phantom version of each page that is
linked to from the CD card e.g. if the link is to index.html then we create
a duplicate of that page e.g. index_2.html and use that for the card link.
Then we can trawl our web stats and do a count of how many hits on
index_2.html. This is simple but there is a maintenance overhead as we have
about 10 to 15  links in the plan i.e. each time we regenerate the site we
have to create the phantom pages again. It also means we are locked into a
certain site structure of a while.

The CF option is to place a CF page between the CD and the target page that
increments or adds a value in a database and uses CFLOCATION to move them to
the target page (our main web site is not am CF server FYI). (This option
allows us to change site structure  - when it does we simply change the
value of the url in CFLOCATION). The problem I've encountered with this one
is when the user hits the back button they will be directed back to the CF
page from whence they came and then encounter the CFLOCATION bit that loops
them to where they came from - not the desired result. Hmmmm! I could put
some JavaScript in to manipulate history but the problem there is what
happens when they hit the back button when they come to the page from within
the web site itself, not via the card.

Any clues please?

********************************
Kevin Parker
Service and Communication
WorkCover Corporation

[EMAIL PROTECTED]

ph:  +61 8 82332548
fax: +61 8 82332000

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee only. It may contain
information that is protected by legislated confidentiality and/or is
legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient you are prohibited
from disseminating, distributing or copying this e-mail. Any opinion
expressed in this e-mail may not necessarily be that of the WorkCover
Corporation of South Australia. Although precautions have been taken, the
sender cannot warrant that this e-mail or any files transmitted with it are
free of viruses or any other defect.
immediately by return e-mail and destroy the original e-mail and any copies.