From: Gyrus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2002 10:04 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: session logout on browser close

In the login/logout system I use, I use a timestamp field in the user
accounts DB table, which is updated every request a logged-in user makes.
When they log out, it subtracts the session timeout value (usually 20 mins)
from the timestamp to enable re-login. Of course, the timestamp field is
used when logging in to prevent two people logging into the same account.

This all works pretty well, but a client is asking about having the session
expire when they close a browser. I've seen this covered before, but I've
always noticed people reporting problems with it. Does the whole <body
onunload="window.open('logout.cfm');"> solution work well? What are the
specific problems, if any?

I'm also wondering whether I should upgrade my 'system' to use client
variables stored in a DB. I gather this is a preferred technique and is more
scaleable. But would it solve any of the above problems? What are the pros
and cons of using client vars in a DB over using session vars? Or am I
comparing apples and oranges?

TIA,

- Gyrus

- [EMAIL PROTECTED]