>  I've tried putting up a bogus page with an invalid SQL
> query. Isn't that supposed to release it?

That works for me provided the bogus query in fact returns an error.
Another way to go is to use the following undocumented tag, which I've never
tried. But here's an excerpt from a post a while ago I saved.

------------------------

This is possible, but not recommended, especially if it is a
multi-user database. To do so, however, clear the cached connection
information with the following code:

<cfset temp = cfusion_dbconnections_flush()>

This code flushes all connection information from the cache, but it does not
disconnect any actively running requests.

HTH,

Regards,
Bob Haroche
O n P o i n t  S o l u t i o n s