OK, so I've read the livedocs explaining the changes to the way
structures behave in MX, but I'm not finding it to be the case...
here's what the docs say:

"ColdFusion MX returns struct keys in the order that you create them.
ColdFusion 5 returns struct keys in alphabetical order. If you need
sorted struct values or keys, use the StructSort() and StructKeySort()
functions."

I have the following code to create a structure for navigation:

<cfscript>
        opts = structnew();
        opts[0]=structnew();
        opts[0]["fa"]="foo";
        opts[0]["lab"]="Option A";
        opts[0]["dsc"]="My Description.";
        opts[1]=structnew();
        opts[1]["fa"]="foo";
        opts[1]["lab"]="Editor";
        opts[1]["dsc"]="Add, edit, and delete.";
        opts[2]=structnew();
        opts[2]["fa"]="enewsmailings.main";
        opts[2]["lab"]="Creator";
        opts[2]["dsc"]="Tools for creating things.";
</cfscript>