Hi folks -

I need to create an mailing app which sends out approximately 1,000
brief "news express" newsletters every night for my science website. I
would like to send the e-mails in bulks of, say, 200 per 30 minutes or
so to reduce the load on the mail servers (site is on a shared server
and this was recommended by the ISP to avoid problems). Eventually the
potential is more than 1,000 subscribers so I need to create a scalable
solution.

I need to send both HTML and text versions, and I need basic merging
functionality (user's name and e-mail, some metadata) - this I can
handle myself. But how do I create a batch of 200 e-mails, then wait,
then create another 200?

I am wondering if perhaps CFMAIL is not the solution here, due to it's
many bugs (I've tried it before with not quite satisfactory results).
And for the record - I'm on CF5, CFMX is not an option right now.

I looked at ActiveMail from cfdev. The source version is $1500 (I get a
full license of Lyris listmanager for 10,000 subscribers for that
price). But the encrypted version is $500, which fits my budget better -
has anyone had any experience with this tag for uses like this, ie
newsletters? Does it solve the issues with CFMAIL?

If anyone knows of existing applications which do these things and which
will run on CF5, please show me where to go...

The budget is vanishingly small as this is a non-profit website but I
cannot compromise on quality on the end product (the newsletter), so I
don't mind if I have to spend time adapting stuff. But I hope there is
someone on this list who can help me get started.

With kind regards,
Tormod Guldvog
Editor, Hypography Sci-Tech
http://www.hypography.com/