From: Michael Ross [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 3:30 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: 3 Tier Security

I am hoping someone can help me out with this.  Maybe I just can't see how
it would work......but anyways we have apps that are going to be accessible
outside our firewall.  We currently have a set-up like this.

Webserver is in dmz with the  ports http/https accessible to the outside
world.  CF code is kept on this server.  Database is completely inside the
firewall.  The firewall is configured to only allow communitcation from the
webserver IP to the SQL IP over a sql port.  There are voices around here
that want to see a 3rd layer or an app server inbetween.  I can't visualize
how this would work?  I think I may just need someone to help me visualize
it.  Anyways taking into consideration that the webserver software is all
patched up and tighened down, the code has been analized to ensure that
there are no holes will adding the extra layer really do any good?

Thanks

Mike