> yeah, I get that, but I guess what im looking for is
> something like...
>
> 1 cfset = wait for processing 1 sec.
> 1 cfset + 1 whatever = wait for proc. 2.5 secs.
>
> are there any metrics or best practices for this?

No, I'm not aware of any. The thing is, you're not concerned with how long
it'll take to execute the code within the lock, exactly, but how long you're
willing to wait to get access to a lock. So, you might have two blocks like
this:

<!--- page 1 --->
<cflock scope="session" ...>
 ... do something really long ...
</cflock>

<!--- page 2 --->
<cflock scope="session" ...>
 ... do something that'll only take an instant ...
</cflock>

So, how long should you lock the second block? If the first block might be
executing at the same time, and you absolutely don't want the second block
to timeout, you'd want to use the amount of time that the first block would
take - and you'd have to take into account how long that block takes under
server load!

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
phone: 202-797-5496
fax: 202-797-5444

::::::::::::: dream :: design :: develop :::::::::::::
MXDC 02 :: Join us at this all day conference for
designers & developers to learn tips, tricks, best
practices and more for the entire Macromedia MX suite.

September 28, 2002  ::  http://www.mxdc02.com/
(Register today, seats are limited!)