Hi,
I'm looking for some advice on tuning SQL Server.  We have a DB that's
(let's say) 100 tables, heavily normalized, with over 250,000 records in at
least 10 primary tables.  For many screens within the application, we need
to do two or three queries, and sometimes quite a few more, all of which
must utilize the primary tables containing the most data.  This obviously
drags the server to its knees very quickly.  The server we are running is
fairly capable (single 500mhz, 512 ram, Win2k), and is dedicated only to SQL
/ DB tasks.  We are considering adding another 500mhz to the server, which
may help.

In a heavily normalized database, what can one do to improve join and sub
query performance?  The queries mostly aggregate data for financial
purposes, so some of this could be stored in a temporary table populated by
a trigger, or something similar.  Cached queries will not work in this
situation.

Help?

Thanks,
Geoffrey Brown