> convert the xml to dom, do your mods and then back to xml, as a CF
> developer, it much easier to work IMHO with the xml dom as structures
> etc than messing around with...

DOM is nice, but when you start using large XML files, the DOM is a waste of
memory and it is slow - if your luck enough to fit the whole tree into
memeory.
Its a waste especially if you only need a part of an XML document.

XML -> XSL (with SAX) -> DOM

I don't know of a more elegant way to do it.

The DOM is great, wonderful, and fabulous for small documents where you need
access
to the all the nodes.

XSL is also great to do XML -> PDF transformations (lookup Formatting
Objects)

I am speaking from the server side btw.

I am very *bias* though, here is a link to my free open source XSL IDE
http://treebeard.sourceforge.net

Cheers,
Rob