My coldfusion web application uses a SQL 2000 DB on Win 2K server.
Presently, we are storing resumes of registered candidates in our database,
the table being used has the following design :

        USER_ID         int             4
        ENTRY_DATE              datetime        8
        UPDATE_DATE             datetime        8
        USER_RESUME     text            16

I have a full-text search index on my user_resume column, and my web
application allows users to perform keyword searches for resumes, so a
typical query (simplified) may look like this :

select * from resume_table where contains(user_resume, 'keyword')

Previously, resumes could only be uploaded in text form, by submitting from
a form. Now, I want users to be able to upload resumes as word documents,
which I will store in a new image column added to the resume_table table. I
want resumes in both formats to be searchable by full-text indexing.

Firstly, how do I implement full-text indexing on the image column
containing MS Word documents ?

Secondly, I need to do an integrated search on both text and ms word format
resumes, with minimal changes to my existing queries. I seem to have 3
options (in decreasing order by amount of effort involved for me), though I
am not sure whether all of them will work :

1. Create another full-text index for the image column storing the ms word
docs. When doing keyword search, use both indexes.

2. Store the word documents in an image column, but do not index them.
Instead, somehow strip out the text from each document and store it in the
user_resume column, where it will be part of the existing full-text catalog.

3. Change the user_resume column to type image - let it store both text
from form submit and uploaded word documents. Rebuild a full-text index on
this column (Is this possible) ?

I'm not sure about the feasibility of any of these options, or issues that
may arise. Would like suggestions as to the best alternative of the three,
or any other option I may have overlooked.

Vishal.