On Tuesday, Oct 8, 2002, at 17:21 US/Pacific, Drew Harris wrote:
> So, what is the difference between Flash Communication Server and Flash
> Remoting Server?

Flash Communication Server is a server (like a web server or an
application server) that allows multiple Flash clients to shared
objects and exchange text, images, video - for example you could write
a multi-user video-conferencing application with it.

Flash Remoting is technology that allows a Flash client to communicate
1-to-1 with either a ColdFusion server (built-in to CFMX), a JRun 4
server (built-in to JRun 4), other J2EE servers (Flash Remoting for
J2EE) or a .NET server (Flash Remoting for .NET).

> I have a project for a client coming up where the front end/UI needs
> to be
> done in Flash... and a "desktop" version of the app (data itself)
> needs to
> sych with the core web system upon request when it comes back "online".

Sounds like Flash MX, Flash Remoting (of some kind) and a server
technology (CFMX gives you Flash Remoting for CFMX).

> But, in the same breath the client is interested in future modules that
> allow utilize online communications, such as chat, streaming media,
> audio
> conferencing and even "application remote control" or the "multi-user
> cursors" that come as components of Flash Communication Server.

Yes, that additional functionality would require the Flash
Communication Server (as well as CFMX w/Flash Remoting).

I suggest you read Ben Forta's book "Reality ColdFusion MX : Macromedia
Flash MX Integration".

An Architect's View -- http://www.corfield.org/blog/

Macromedia DevCon 2002, October 27-30, Orlando, Florida
Architecting a New Internet Experience
Register today at http://www.macromedia.com/go/devcon2002