On 10/13/02, Michael Kear penned:
>Well I know you're looking for a wider and more general answer, but on that
>specific one, you'd be better to use Cook Islands rather than New Zealand.
>Cook Islands is a protectorate of NZ and a long way away.   Just as in the
>US context, you'd put GUAM rather than USA/GUAM  or Puerto Rico rather than
>USA Puerto Rico.
>

>As to the wider issue, I'd be tempted to put Ceuta and Chaferinas Islands
>rather than Spain.
>

>Why not use the UN country codes/names file?  It's almost universally
>accepted as the correct country names.    I can send it to you if you like.
>I use it myself, but I don't have very widespread customers yet.

Hi Michael. Thanks for the response. The problems is that USPS
doesn't deal with country codes or postal codes. With UPS Online
tools I pass the 2 letter country code and the postal code if any.
With USPS Web Tools you have to pass value as the actual name they
assign to the country, such as...

Aitutaki (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)

So, where with UPS, I do...

<option value="NZ">New Zealand

With USPS, it's...

<option value="Aitutaki (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)">Aitutaki (Cook
Islands) (New Zealand)

And where I have 256 countries in my countries table, USPS lists 458,
mainly because of 9 listings for Spain, etc.

With my duplicates, such as Aitutaki (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
listed as a sub country of Cook Islands AND New Zealand, I end up
with like 507. :)

To further complicate it, there are also countries of...

Hervey (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
Mangaia (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
Manuai (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
Mauke (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
Mitiaro (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
Parry (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)
Rarotonga (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)

LOL

I have no idea if the shipping rates for all of these areas will end
up being the same, or close enough that I could just give them one
choice, like...

<option value="Aitutaki (Cook Islands) (New Zealand)">Cook Islands

And who's got the time to check each one?

So as it stands now, I have it so if they choose either Cook Islands
OR New Zealand as their country, I show all those choices and ask
them to "Please select the area that best matches your shipping
location".

And don't even get me started on US Possessions like Guam, Puerto
Rico, etc. None of which they list as Countries.

It's no wonder the US Postal Service is broke. I'd like to see inside
the skull of whomever came up with THIS scheme. :)
--

Bud Schneehagen - Tropical Web Creations

ColdFusion Solutions / eCommerce Development
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.twcreations.com/
954.721.3452