Mark,

I don't know if this is the way to go, but it might spark some ideas for you
that solve the initial problem, as well as addressing Benoit's point.  You
store your usernames and passwords in a table, I assume.  If you can modify
that table, add a LastActivity column of type date/time.  When someone signs
in, you look up the uid/pwd, verify it, and then stamp that column with the
current date/time.  In the Application.cfm for the site, you restamp the
column on every page (a bit of extra overhead--someone may have a better
idea on this point).  Then here's the logic in various situations:

1) User presses "log out" button.  Erase the date/time stamp.
2) Second user tries to log in.  Presence of a value in the LastActivity
column means that the person is already in.  Just in case they have simply
walked away, the value is checked.  If it's older than some set amount of
time (e.g., thirty minutes), they get logged out automatically.
3) User leaves without pressing "log out".  Then they come back to sign in
and it won't let them.  You explain that it may have to do with the timeout
issue and tell them to be sure to press "log out" in the future, all on top
of a message that says "one person at a time".
4) Keep the signed-in state in a session variable.  That way, if the person
leaves, their sign-in session variable will time out.  But activity will
keep it alive.

Hope this helps.

Matthieu