Tim -
You're asking a fairly complicated question.

Let me simplify the way I ended up doing it was a related datamodel:
event
[event_id, ...details...]

event_date
[event_id, date (day, month, year), time, duration]

Now, the important thing to note is that "event_date" is unique on event_id
AND date.
Every day that an even was good for, got a new record.  For my application,
time & duration
were not necessarily the same on every day, in which case, I needed to put
it in event date.

A more elaborate scheme would be the following
event
[event_id, ...details...]

event_recur
[event_id, recur_id, duration]

recur
[recur_id, ...]

In this scheme, ColdFusion would be in charge of placing recurring to the
screen properly.  A recurrence
might be: every other week.  A duration might be: 12 times.  Lots of effort
is put into printing recurrence on
output.  This scheme also makes determining exactly which events occur on a
particular day difficult in SQL.

Mike Wokasch