It harkens back to my days as a BBS SysOp. At the time, multitasking was
just getting into swing on PCs, but most of the third-party applications
(read: games) were strictly single thread. Letting two people into an
application at one time would cause all kinds of havok.

It's also used all over. Access *.ldb files, for instance.