At 08:28 PM 10/16/02 +0100, Turetsky, Seth wrote:
>What would be the easiest way to get cfmail to use multiple smtp servers,
>either if one goes down or for load balancing?  Is this even possible,
>maybe using an MX record with multiple smtp servers or something?

For load balancing, the cheap and dirty solution would be to put the names of
N smtp servers into a CF variable, then make a random selection between them
on each invocation of <CFMAIL>  Not elegant, but it will certainly work.

You could write a little utility, too, that would 'test' an smtp server by
sending
email to a known (preferably REAL local) address and then to a CF_POP to
see if it got there. If it didn't, then either the SMTP or the POP server went
haywire, and you could strike that server off your list. How to time-stamp it
to allow for delayed delivery and run the writer and reader processes
anachronously but in coordinated fashion is left as an exercise to the
reader :-)

On the other hand, you could go out looking for an SMTP server that provides
load balancing (I'd start with the folks who make Listserv) of multiple servers
under the aegis of a single name, and let the SMTP server software handle it.
:-)

Greg