Many other products have solved this by a small change in their
licensing agreement.

1. Price the server product to cover 1 Production + 1 Development
install for Price X.

or

2. Price the server stand along at 5k, price a Production + Development
License for 6.5k.

The licensing agreement specifically details what can be done and not
done on the Development licensure.

IMHO, MM lowers the general quality of CF development by asking to get
full price for Test and Development licensure of their product.

I think most developers and IT managers will agree you need to maintain
3 distinct environments: Production, Test, and Development.  And, these
environments should mimic one another as much as possible, ie same
software versions, OS, clusters, etc.

Since most shops are not comfortable forking out 5k/box just for
licensing of their test and development farms, they often simply choose
not to have one, both, or choose not to replicate production clusters
into the other 2 environments.  Any of these scenarios places the
developer into situation where they can not get a hands on feel of what
is happening in the production environment.

But, I'm sure MM has heard this rant over and over.

</rant>

Trey Rouse

Good