I started this thread, and maybe I should end it.

I posted it here, because I thought it applied to individual CF
developers -- whether part of a large organizations or one-person shops.

I also thought , that because of the members of the CF-Talk  list, it
would get better/faster response than the other HOF CF lists --
everyone is on this list, many are not on CF Community, CF-Linux, etc,
My apologies to everyone, especially Michael, if this was a disservice.

The original, request was to expand, slightly, the number of external
IPs supported by the CFMX Trial (Enterprise) system after it reverted
to the Developer system.

The number of external IPs I had in mind, was 2-4, so that with
localhost, the Developer version would have a total of 1-5 addresses.

The propose was to allow a single developer, with a single Developer
system to do:

     Multi-user Demonstrations/Presentations

     Multi-user interaction testing, debugging

     Limited Stress testing

     Use of Advanced CFMX features - Consuming/publishing
     web services,  Flash Remoting, etc.

     Someone added multi-user walkthrough  of an application
     to geographically distributed members of a team

The intent was to help the individual developer to do his job, better,

The intent was not to use this expanded capability to allow multiple
developers
to share a single system for development.

Unfortunately, as the thread progressed, it morphed into a multi-user
Developer system -- this would mean lost revenue to Macromedia, as it
would displace sales of CFMX (pro or Enterprise) to Development shops,
who stage their development on such in-house systems, before deploying
on a production system (in-house or out-house).

Again, that was not the intent.  And, if you think about the way the
additional IPs would likely be handled in the expanded system, it
really wouldn't work well as multiuser developer system.

Consider this, assuming 4 external IPs were allowed:

-- The number of external IPs is *NOT*  any 4 concurrent external
users..

-- Rather, it is the first 4 external users who access the system.

-- Once 4 users have accessed the system, all others are locked out.

-- If any or all of the first 4, turn their machines off or go home, it
doesn't change
    anything -- all other users are locked out

-- the only way to remove the lock is to recycle the system

C'Mon, how practical would it to be on a team of 5 users, sharing such
a system for development.

--  The person who is localhost is the only one who can do CFMX admin
things

-- Whenever another IP (after the first 4) wanted to access the system,
it would need to be recycled
     (and coordinated with all the others sharing the system)

-- the localhost person would get stuck with all the SA duties, and not
be able to control his
    development activities.

-- the localhost person could do lots of things (burn a DVD) and bring
the others efforts to a halt

-- Other than localhost users would be at the mercy (whim) of local
host.

-- noone could get anything done without localhost being there

-- noone, including localhost could take their work with them (home,
client, off site presentation).

If I had deadlines/commitments  to meet, I wouldn't go within miles of
a "Developer" system, like that.  Rather, I would put CFMX Developer on
my laptop or desktop, along with whatever DB, files, etc. -- and, aND,
AND ---

Be in complete control of my own development environment (maybe IDE
really means Individual Developer Environment).

Could a shop of three users avoid buying a CFMX license, by sharing a
"Developer" version?

Sure they could, but if you want to beat the system there are much
better ways .

I maintain, these three would be much better off, if each had his own
copy of CFMX developer installed on his own computer -- why share that?
  You lose all the advantage (independence) of the CFMX Developer system.

When you need to collaborate, you plug into a "real" staged development
system -- not some emasculated system that gets recycled all the time.

Well, I guess I have beaten this to death, but I would like to try and
make one final poignant.

A single-Developer system that supports a limited number of external
IPs will allow that developer to be more efficient -- which should
result in more, and more-rapid deployment of production CFMX systems.
This equates to revenue for Macromedia, and a improved relationship
with the developer community.  For the reasons discussed above, I don't
believe that expanding the single-Developer system will have any impact
on the purchase of CFMX for multi-user development purposes.

I hope that Macromedia will consider this as a serious request, with
potential benefits to Macromedia, CFMX developers and our clients.

Dick