From: Steve Drucker [mailto:sdrucker@;figleaf.com]
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2002 10:39 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Urgent : GURU Required: Excel vs COM in CFMX

Yeah, the problem is that you're using COM to connect to Excel.

As has been previously mentioned several times on various boards, COM is
dead.  Microsoft has abandoned COM, ColdFusion MX doesn't support COM
particularly well due to its new architecture, and invoking Excel as a
COM
object on the server isn't even supported by Microsoft under ASP:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q257757&ID=kb;en
-us;
Q257757&FR=1

So, just say no to COM.

I'm actually lecturing about this topic at Devcon in a few days.
Your viable options are as follows:

1) Simple data can be sent to Excel as delimited fields
2) More complex data can be represented as HTML or XML and loaded
directly
into Excel (especially Excel 10/XP)
3) Use the Office XP web control to embed MS-excel functionality in your
web
pages (assuming the end user owns a license of XP)
4) Use Excel's web query features, or use CF to create a web query file
5) Create a web service in CFMX that is accessible to Excel as a web
client

Regards,
Steve Drucker
CEO