> Does anyone know if there is a Macromedia document that
> outlines best practices for the CF Administrator - like
> actual setting numbers? Our server is hanging, our admin
> is on vacation, and I'm trying to see what my steps
> should be for troubleshooting and if tweaking the CF
> Admin would help.

You're not going to find too much that tells you exactly what values should
go in various fields, simply because those values can vary quite a bit. As
others have suggested, you'll probably want to check out the log files to
see if you can identify what's causing your server to hang.

There aren't many settings in the CF Administrator that can, by themselves,
prevent (or cause) your server to hang. The one I can think of offhand, that
might help you, is the "timeout requests" setting on the "Settings" page. By
default, I believe that this isn't enabled; you should enable it, and set
the timeout value to a relatively low number - I like to use 20 seconds, but
this may vary depending on the complexity of your pages and other factors.
Depending on the specific databases you're using, there may also be some
datasource configuration parameters that might make a big difference in
stability - for example, I've seen problems in the past when using Access
and enabling the "maintain database connections" setting for those
datasources.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496