That's what gets me:

If I try to output it immediately afterwards in that section of code, it
throws an undefined error, as it should.

But on the recursive call, even though the delete was run on the client
variable, it is defined.

Here's some more code so you can get an idea what I'm trying to do.
Remember, it works perfectly on CF5.

<cfif notLoggedIn and not fusebox.isCustomTag>
        <!--- preserve their formfields if they just submitted a form --->
        <cfif isDefined("form.fieldNames")>
                <cfwddx action="CFML2WDDX" input="#attributes#"
output="client.wddxFormBuffer">
        </cfif>
        <cfset client.authenticationReturnFuseAction =
"#attributes.fuseaction#">
        <cflocation addtoken="No"
url="#self#/fuseaction/authentication.go/index.cfm">
</cfif>

<cfif isDefined("client.wddxFormBuffer")>
        <cfoutput>I am still defined</cfoutput>
        <cfwddx action="WDDX2CFML" input="#client.wddxFormBuffer#"
output="attributes">
        <cfset DeleteClientVariable("wddxFormBuffer")>
        <!--- throws error if uncommented --->
        <!--- #client.wddxFormBuffer# --->
</cfif>