As I learned it, pound signs are really only needed when CFOUTPUTting
variables and for certain CF tag parameters.  For comparisons and
functions/expressions, drop the pound signs for clarity and--I think--better
performance.

<cfif #Form.Formname# NEQ ""> should be <cfif Form.Formname NEQ "">

And, really, I would use this:

<cfif Len(Form.Formname)>

Chris Lofback
Sr. Web Developer