From: "David Hannum (Ohio University)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Talk" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, November 12, 2002 6:28 PM
Subject: Re: SOT: Sad Day

| > I'll back you up. MM has a long history of abandoning
products. Everyone
| > seems to act like CF is invincible, yet it was sold by
Allaire a little
| > over a year ago.
|     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| > Do you think MM will keep CF around if it starts to
tank? Phat chance.
| > If the software doesn't sail, these captains jump before
the women and
| > children. I know I'm not the only one who learned
Generator. :)

| MM bought Allaire, not because there was anything wrong
with it, but because
| there was so much right with it.  When you can do as much
and more with CFMX
| and Flash MX than you could with Generator, with much less
cost and far less
| server overhead, why shouldn't you abandon Generator?  The
cfm/fla marriage
| is perfect.  Cost to performance and capability, it's
positioned to be the
| greatest thing since soft butter!  If you've read the
postings of people who
| attended DevCon, you'll notice an extreme optimism among
CF'ers.  MM is
| taking CF & Flash to the lead in a new wave of internet
applications.  And
| the neat part is, MM is making it possible for PHP, ASP
and Java to play
| too!  I was very skeptical when MM purchased Allaire.  But
they keep showing
| me a stronger and stronger commitment.  I have no trouble
staying with MM.
| They've shown that they are making CF one of their
flagship products.

| As for dropping a product when it's outlived its useful
life, that's just
| good business.  That does not make a company bad.
Generator's life had come
| to an end when it became apparent that client side power
was practicle with
| the advances in Flash.  CF is a much better server side
solution to power
| that.  Dropping Generator was not a bad idea on MM's part.
It was a very