I would probably go for the 3-table layout.

First, if the goals are more typically graded 1 or 2 times per year, it
doesn't leave you with lots of wasted space for storing those grades,
comments, whatever.

Second, there's always the possibility that someone might need more -- for
example, a single goal graded six times each for two different departments.
Or maybe they add summer to it.  Who knows.

Finally, it seems to me that this gives you more flexibility and power when
it comes to slicing and dicing the data for analysis or display.

Of course, I'm far from a SQL expert, but that's my $.02

  --Ben Doom
    Programmer & General Lackey
    Moonbow Software