You can overwrite them with <cfset> ... though I typically use <cfset
request.myapp.myvar = "something"> instead of application variables for this
sort of thing also. The app could be using <cfparam> tags instead of <cfset>
tags in which case it would chew through the xml file on each request
unecessarily since the param won't overwrite the existing value.

Or it could use something like <cfif not
structkeyexists(application,"init")> to determine when to load the
application vars, in which case, it won't reload them when you modify the
xml file because application.init already exists. You could use a url
variable to force the app to reload the xml file in this situation, however,
which wouldn't be too tough to accomplish or too hard on the server...

<cfparam name="url.init" type="boolean"
default="#yesnoformat(not structkeyexists(application,"init"))#">
<cfif url.init>
        ... chew up the xml file here ...
</cfif>

Then when you update the xml file, just load the application's default page
with &init=true in the query string