Here is the configuration that siteDirector uses

The below system allows you to re-use option groups on multiple products.

Product Table
===================
productID, title, sku ect..
1                prod xxx,
Option Table
====================
optionID, optionName
1                Color
2                Size

OptionItemTable
===================
itemId, optionID, itemName, itemPrice
1            1            Red            0.00
2            1            Blue            2.00
3            1            Green         3.00
4            2            Small          1.00
5            2            Medium      2.00

ProductOptions (This table combines the options and products)
productID, optionID
1                1
1                 2

Hope this helps!