Run the code... then tell me it still won't work that way. Is it possible
you're wrong?

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: S. Isaac Dealey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, November 26, 2002 1:53 PM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Writing a file with CFFILE

umm... no ...

htmleditformat() converts potentially harmful characters ( <,> " etc ) into
html entities. An html entity is used to place characters in the display of
an html page which aren't supposed to be allowed ( although browsers often
if not usually allow them anyway ) in an html document without being part of
an html tag. htmleditformat(0 is a one-way conversion. You can of course,
unhtmleditformat() a variable manually, however, doing so prevents you from
placing proper html entities in the field since they would likely all be
converted back into the <>" etc which aren't supposed to appear in properly
formatted html documents.

<cfsavecontent variable="myvar">
  <textarea name="helloworld"></textarea>
</cfsavecontetn>

<cfoutput>
</cfoutput>

since these 2 lines are not the same, and the contents of a textarea field
are passed literally ( they're not translated by the form submission ), the
content of myvar becomes what you see on line 2 after it's been converted
the first time with htmleditformat().

Unless this is a very new feature of CFMX that I've not heard about which
automatically reverts the string after a form submission. Although I would
doubt it considering that this would prevent people being able to enter html
entities into form fields and get html entities on the action page.

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what's up with your example -- I
haven't tested it on my machine. If it is working, one of two things are
happening -- there's more code involved than in your example ( an
application.cfm maybe ) _or_ there's a bug somewhere, because it's not
supposed to work that way.

s. isaac dealey                954-776-0046

new epoch                      http://www.turnkey.to

lead architect, tapestry cms   http://products.turnkey.to

certified advanced coldfusion 5 developer
http://www.macromedia.com/v1/handlers/index.cfm?ID=21816