..with regards to the long query...we have an app that has several queries that run
quite long, a couple in the 3 or 4 minute range.  These do not bring my CF server to a
halt at all.  We average  almost 200  users per hour on busy days on this box.  Have a
look at all your CFAdmin settings.  You may need to raise the 'limit simultaneous
requests'.  We have it set to 40 for a four proc machine.  I have found through
research and experience that if your app is very DB intense, raising this helps.  Also
look at lowering the 'restart at x unresponsive requests'  We have it set at 5.  Also
make sure you have 'timeout requests after x seconds' checked and set reasonably.

note that my experiences are with winblows boxen.  on Linux boxen, this may very.

Doug