ooops!  missed this one yesterday.  I have no link to the methodology I mentioned, it
has been discussed here and on CFDJLIST many times though.  It involves this:

in application.cfm
<!--- Move Session to Request --->
<cflock timeout="30" throwontimeout="No" type="READONLY" scope="SESSION">
        <cfset structappend(request,Duplicate(session))>
</cflock>

in onrequestend.cfm
<!--- move request back to session --->
<cflock timeout="30" throwontimeout="No" type="EXCLUSIVE" scope="SESSION">
        <cfset structAppend(session,Duplicate(request))>
</cflock>

With this, our whole application, some 800 templates, uses only two cflocks and no
pcode errors at all.   Note, some folks copy the session to request.session, YMMV.
Also note, any use of cflocation in a template may bypass your needed onrequestend.cfm
call, keep this in mind.

Doug