Possibly, depends on a lot of things. Different browser deal with it
different ways. EG I.Explorer use the mime-type, then the extension, then
some magic type tests /guesses etc...

However the correct way to serve a document is to supply a mime-type like
application/msword  etc.

If you are directly serving pdf's like http://www.myserver.com/mypdf.pdf
anyone can get download them if its a unprotected directory. The built-in
pdf encryption is crap btw.

Use <cfcontent to serve docs for a protected directory.

WG