Actually it is probably because you haven't specified a timeout

====== from docs =========
timeout
 Optional
 0
 Length of time, in seconds, that ColdFusion waits for output from the
spawned program.

0: equivalent to non-blocking mode.
A very high value: equivalent to blocking mode
If the value is 0:

ColdFusion starts a process and returns immediately. ColdFusion may return
control to the calling page before any program output displays. To ensure
that program output displays, set the value to 2 or higher.
If the outputFile attribute is not specified, any program output is
discarded

WG