Quoting Michael Kear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> We have one main site, (I'll call it MAINSITE) which consists of a
> shop and lots of .asp and html pages, and a couple of cold-fusion
> based separate smaller sites.  NO problem so far, but the MAINSITE has
> lots of interactive ColdFusion pages, which are integrated with the
> site.
>
> New Server:
> MAIN SITE
> - SQL 2000 (Only the .asp content database is installed, NO databases
> used by cold fusion installed here)
> - SITE SERVER administering the site
> - MAIL -ENABLE
> - SSL - MAIN SITE - ReNew & Reactivated.
> - IP Address will takes over for the site
>
> 1) CHOICE-LIVE -> OLD CHOICE (Current SERVER)
> - SQL  7 as it is no change (including its DATABASE NO Change)
> - INETINFO  NO Change
> - COLD FUSION  No Change
> - SITE SERVER + Commerce - DISABLE
> - MAIL - DISABLE
> - ONLY IP Address will be changed.
> - SSL for Subsidiary sites No Change
>
> The problem with this configuration seems to me to be that relative
> links to the main site on  the interactive pages wont work and will
> all have to be changed to absolute links, and none of the cfincludes
> will work now.  Is there a better way to set it up?

I presume you have already told your clients sysadmin this, and that he:
- thinks they won't break
- thinks changing is easy

Insist on decent testing before moving to production, that will show if
things break or not. If they break, make sure you have a quote for
fixing the broken parts ready.

If I had to set it up, I would keep websites on 1 server and databases
on another one, unless there are pressing requirements/circumstances
that you have not described. Depending on load email would probably go
on the database server, with some very tight access control lists on the
firewall/router for that server.

Jochem

--
Friends don't let friends use table-based layouts.