Thanks for the resources (and the thought).  In this case the sheet only
changes once of twice a year so this works fine for me (and doesn't
require any client-side code).  I may get trickier in at some point, but
for now "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is the rule of the day!

We actually do something similar at my real job client side: the entire
set of style sheets (in this case to change presentation style depending
on audience) are cached and written out by JavaScript.  It works well,
but is more client-side script heavy that I wanted for for the
FirstNight site.

My big goal this year is to rebuild the interactive planner, maybe even
do the interface in FlashCom... If I can get FN to move to a host where
that's supported...

But today I rest!

Jim