Cedric,

Although I am still fairly new to working with CFCs, (as evidenced
by some of my recent posts), I think I understand their purpose.
CFCs are the CFMX implementation of Object Oriented Programming
(OOP).  OOP is a way of tieing data and functions together.  For
instance, you define a CFC of Vehicle which has data properties of
things like RunsOn (water, land, air), self-propelled (boolean),
weight, color, MaxSpeed.  It might also have functions that work
with the data properties such as AdjustMaxSpeed(adjustmentValue)
or ChangeColor(newColor).  Then you might have a CFC that is Auto
which extends Vehicle and adds data properties like NoWheels,
NoCylinders, NoPassengers, MaxLoad.  It might also have functions
such as AdjustMaxLoad(adjustmentValue).  It would also be able to
call ChangeColor() even though it is not explicitly declared but
inherits it from Vehicle.  Then you might instantiate the CFC to
MyCar = CreateObject(Car).  Now MyCar represents a specific case
of Car with particular values for the data properties.

If you are just building a few web pages and just need a function
that CF doesn't have, then a UDF will probably work fine.  But if
you are building an integrated application, you might want to
consider CFCs.

Robert J. Polickoski
Senior Programmer, ISRD Inc.
(540) 842-6339