I like to think about the early days of Java (pre J2EE) when Java was the
hot technology but few folks had real line-of-business applications built in
it (server-side). Lots of talk, lots of interest in the tech and folks with
the degree, lots of smoke -- but no fire. Now J2EE is a defacto assumption
for most enterprise apps I've been associated with (and more than one ASP or
CF to J2EE migration). But it took a few years for the tech to mature *and*
the core of the "art of programming J2EE applications" to develop.

So extending the analogy, I certainly think you'd be risking a project to go
full-bore on .NET. It will take a year or so for the inevitable service
packs, upgrades, etc, to come out, not to mention the new releases of
BizTalk, SQL-Server, and the core .NET Server platform MS wants us all to
run it on. (I mean c'mon, I'm just getting comfortable with Visual
Studio.NET and now I get the release candidate of Visual Studio.NET
2003....) and more importantly, it will take a few folk bleeding to death
out on the edge to get their experiences back to the masses about best
practices.

I do think the tech will be adopted faster than Java since there's a bigger
core of Microsoft technology. But I also think that many of the ASP
programmers are going to realize that they know less than they thought about
programming when ASP.NET makes them actually declare variables, compile,
etc. :) Thus the desire for knowledgeable *programmers* who also know .NET.

As an aside, does anyone else find it ironic that Sun is moving Java closer
to ASP (with JSP, tag libraries, etc) for ease of use while MS is moving ASP
closer to the days of Java servlets, etc. for performance and reliability?
JSP was easier because you didn't have to do all those out.println() sorts
of things, just like ASP. Now in ASP.NET you're back to out.println()....
The more things change....

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint