That is a very cool article. It is Somewhat like storing a linked list. here
is some ascii art that might help :)

    |------|
    \/     |
+=======+  |
| affs  |  |
+-------+  |
|pk     |--|
|info   |
|fk     |
+=======+
(pk = primary key
 fk = foreign key)

So the first item has nothing in the foreign key, and all others have their
foreign key set to their parents primary key. for example
(mssql server)

-- adding a new affiliate
INSERT INTO affs (
        info,
        fk
)values(
        'this is a new aff',
        (SELECT pk FROM affs WHERE info = 'parent affiliate'
)

then go get all the affiliates for one affiliates you could do
SELECT * FROM affs WHERE fk = (SELECT pk FROM affs WHERE info = 'parent
affiliate')

Hope that helps a bit,
Rob