Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't your login simply be a SELECT from
the db to get the validation credentials? Or is this using NT
Authentication? If it's a simple db lookup, you just put two queries in the
login page -- the login itself and the insert. You can make it even easier
by having the login check call a stored proc that does the validation and
the insert. (sorry -- just saw Access. No stored procs).

Something like

<CFQUERY name="validateLogin">
SELECT user.*
FROM user
WHERE user.username = '#form.username#' AND user.password='#form.password#'
</CFQUERY>

<CFIF validateLogin.recordcount EQ 1>
    <CFQUERY>
    INSERT INTO tblLogins(username,logTime) VALUES('#form.username#',NOW())
    </CFQUERY>
    rest of page
<CFELSE>
    Bad login/etc

You can do this much slicker, but this gets the point across.

So just two queries on the login page -- that's it. Or is there something
more complicated going on?

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint