> How about just relying on the default "/" mapping to
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\
> . Then you just refer to each site as /mysite/ where mysite is the
> folder name. It's effectively the same as setting up a mapping as far
as
> I can see. That's what we do anyway.

You're saying that we should point the "/" logical mapping to the root
directory of all the virtual servers? I don't think that will work
because we use domain names for directory names.

Assume we have all our sites in a directory "c:\websites" and the
logical mapping points to that directory. Beneath that directory we have
the a directory "domain.com" which is a virtually hosted domain name.
The customer would use something like this to invoke a component:

  domain.com.packageDirectory.component

Unless I'm missing something, ColdFusion is going to replace the "."
with "\", append a ".cfc", and prepend the mapping path to arrive at the
following string:

  c:\websites\domain\com\packageDirecotry\component.cfc

The path is really:

  c:\websites\domain.com\packageDirecotry\component.cfc

Besides, using "domain.com" is counter to the standard Java practice of
using "com.domain".

We can rename all of the customer directories, if that's what it takes,
but I was hoping that there was a real solution to this problem,
something simple that I was overlooking, or a bug fix in the works,
because there certainly does seem to be a problem here.

Benjamin S. Rogers
http://www.c4.net/
v.508.240.0051
f.508.240.0057