Under CF5, a timeout of "0" meant a permanent (no timeout) database
connection -- don't know for sure if this holds under CFMX, but since you're
on CF5, that's the problem.

But if you're working on a nightly backup, I wouldn't rely on the connection
timeout. If the db is unavailable during the backup, your site isn't really
available either (at least the db portions). You could use xp_cmdshell to
stop the coldfusion server (ensuring that there are no remaining cf db
connections) and then run the backup and restart the cf server all in T-SQL
(assuming appropriate permissions, etc.) Depends on the size of the
backup -- but shouldn't be more than 5 minutes. Of course, that's a long
time on a 24x7 site.

But honestly, SQL 2000 can backup a database while it is in use. Backups can
fail if you're creating/deleting database files or shrink commands, but just
having an active connection isn't a dealkiller. I'm running one right now on
a reporting database (2.5 GB) while a couple of huge reports are running (11
table joins, including composite keys of text fields -- don't ask) and it's
working fine. There are 34 connections, 5 users, and about 8 running/runable
tasks.  And I'm doing sp_who, etc to check these things while the backup is
running.

Regards,

John Paul Ashenfelter
CTO/Transitionpoint