For example, suppose you created an implementation to support patterns
like, "the first day of every month from 1/1/97 to 1/1/98." The former
is a recurring pattern, but could easily be turned into a one time event
by thinking of it as, "the first day of every month from 1/1/91 to
1/1/98." While it may seem silly to describe even one time events using
a similar pattern to recurring events, it does give a system a single
way to deal with events, which IMHO, it enormously valuable.

Matt Liotta
President & CEO
Montara Software, Inc.
http://www.montarasoftware.com/