> I am not using RDS, so I disabled the service -- so far so good.
>
> But in executive.log, I noticed that I have the following
> entry, WHICH IS REPEATED EVERY 2 SECONDS:
>
>       "Error","TID=48","05/30/00","07:22:46",
>       "Unexpected Windows NT error number 1058
>       occurred while attempting to start the RDS service."
> >
> Why is CF trying to start this service every 2 seconds, and how can
> I tell it not to?

The CF Executive service is noticing that RDS is off, trying to start it,
and failing because RDS is disabled. One of the jobs of CF Executive is to
restart the other CF services if they're not running. This is generally a
good thing, as the other services may have failed for whatever reason.
According to Tom Jordahl of Allaire, you can set the following value to zero
in the Registry to prevent Executive from starting RDS:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Allaire\ColdFusion\CurrentVersion\IDE\ServiceRun
ning

On Unix, you can simply start cfexec with -s.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444