From: Smith, Matthew P -CONT(DYN) [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

Sent: 22 January 2003 14:45
To: CF-Talk
Subject: cfhttp, Connection Failure: Status code unavailable

We just migrated our production server over to cfmx yesterday, and are
running into a couple of issues regarding cfhttp.  A call to a web
service
we are using for user validation using cfhttp is returning the
following:

Connection Failure: Status code unavailable

Here's the code:
<cfhttp url="https://www.foo.com/whatever/member.verify"; method="POST"
port="443" username="foo" password="foo" resolveurl="false" timeout="90"
throwonerror="Yes">
            <cfhttpparam type="URL" name="RULE"
value="#attributes.rule#">
            <cfhttpparam type="URL" name="PNID"
value="#attributes.ssn#">
            <cfhttpparam type="URL" name="IDTYP"
value="#attributes.IDTYP#">

            <cfhttpparam type="URL" name="LN"
value="#attributes.lastName#">

            <cfhttpparam type="URL" name="DOB"
value="#attributes.birthDate#">
            <cfhttpparam type="URL" name="APPL"
value="#attributes.APPL#">
</cfhttp>

Please note that this was working just fine on CF5.  Unfortunately, due
network restrictions, this was the one bit of code that we could not
test on
the development box prior to the mx cutover.

After a bit of research, I found an alternate to cfhttp.
http://webforums.macromedia.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=2
<http://webforums.macromedia.com/coldfusion/messageview.cfm?catid=2&thre
adid
=350305&highlight_key=y&keyword1=cfhttp&keyword2=ssl>
&threadid=350305&highlight_key=y&keyword1=cfhttp&keyword2=ssl

I have it working fine, but unfortunately it seems that after
implementing
the solution below, the server started crashing every 5-10 minutes,
requiring a manual restart of the iis/cf services.  This is the first
time
I've used cfobject, so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong.  I'm
not
sure if the object created has to be "closed" in some way, or if the
concurrent calls may be causing the problem and a named lock may be
required
to single thread the cfobject call.  The high use of this code really
mandates avoiding a single threaded approach.

<cfobject action="Create" name="objSrvHTTP"
class="MSXML2.ServerXMLHTTP">
<cfset temp = objSrvHTTP.open("GET","
https://www.foo.com/whatever//Member.Verify?RULE=#attributes.rule#&IDTYP
=#at
tributes.IDTYP#&APPL=#attributes.APPL#&LN=#attributes.lastName#&PNID=#at
trib
utes.ssn#&DOB=#attributes.birthDate#",false," foo "," foo ")>
<cfset temp=objSrvHTTP.send("")>
<cfset myResult = objSrvHTTP.responsetext>

Lastly, I seem to remember someone mentioning a java class that they had
come up with for use as an alternate to cfhttp.  As we have full control
over the server, we have the flexibility to use cfx tags or any other
option.  If anyone knows another method to hit a remote web service, I
would
be up for trying it.

Thanks for any help.
Matthew P. Smith